Immigration Issues/Immigration to Canada

Question
QUESTION: Hi,

I am an American citizen living in Greece and remarried an Egyptian here. We have been married for over a year and a half. Since the economy is not doing well over in Greece I would like to move to Canada especially since I have kids. I heard Canada has a good economy and is a bit more affordable right now then USA. I can't bring him with me right away so he will return to Egypt for the time being. I would like to know how I could bring my husband to Canada. Should I apply over here in Greece or Egypt for the beginning (using a USA or Canadian attorney) or should I just move to Canada and begin the process by myself? Do we need to live together to begin the immigration process? I would like to know how long the process takes and what kind of documentation we would need. He was working here but I was not. I would also like to know how long it takes me to get Canadian residency. And would I have to get it first before he comes? Thank you for any help you have.

ANSWER: Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for your email.  You indicate that you and your family would like to "move" to Canada for economic reasons but you state you are an American citizen married to an Egyptian. Do you have any status in Canada?  Are you a citizen by decent (through your parents)?  Or are you interested in applying to become a permanent resident of Canada?  I cannot answer your question further until you provide more detail.

Sincerely,

Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Member of ICCRC
www.joincanada.com

QUESTION: Thank you for your response. I am interested in living in Canada but I do
not have any family ties or relatives living there. I would just like to apply to become a permanent resident. How long does the process take? Thank you again for your help.

Jennifer Noufal

Answer
Hello Jennifer,

Thank you for your question.  Canada has many programs where potential immigrants may qualify to apply to become a permanent resident of Canada.  I would suggest you review the various programs at the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website to ascertain which one would be suitable for you and your family.  It's not as simple as deciding you want to live here.  You must fit within one of these programs first by having the required education, work experience, language abilities, etc.  You also must ensure that you and all of your family members are admissible to Canada having no criminal history, reasonable financial means (in some programs) and be in good general health.

The length of time it takes to become a permanent resident of Canada depends on the program you choose and visa office processing your application.  Generally it takes 1 to 2 years through the majority of programs available.

The details of each program are too long and complex to list here.  So please review them at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp where I suggest you look at the Federal Skilled Worker program first.  Once you have done that, if you have more specific questions, please come back and I will be happy to assist.

Sincerely,

Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Member of ICCRC
www.joincanada.com

Roxanne Jessome