Immigration Issues/sponser spouse


Me and my spouse had our PR of Canada but due to recession and family issue my spouse will not be able to complete the required number of days to retain his PR. I and our baby live in Canada but he still travels between India  and Canada. We have been filling our taxes in Canada based on our global income every year. Please advise can I sponsor him before his PR expires. Our PR is due for renewal in March 2012.


ANSWER: Hi Randeep,

Thank you for your question.  Where is your husband now?  Is he in Canada or India?

A permanent resident is required to spend 730 days out of the last 5 year period.  If your husband is in Canada now, he could wait to apply for renewal of the PR card until has has obtained the required days in Canada within the last 5 years from the date he applies.  If that is not possible, then my question would be if he relinquishes his PR (which he must do for you to sponsor him) would he be able to meet the residency requirements with a new PR?


Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Member of ICCRC

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

my husband is in India and would not be able to complete his 730 days in Canada. Our PR expires in March 2012. He would be moving permanently to Canada after he gets his new PR. Should I wait till March 2012 to apply for his sponsorship or should we relinquish his PR earlier and sponsor him to get his case in processing.


Hi Randeep,

You can apply to sponsor him now and when the file is transferred to Dehli, your husband will be asked to sign a "voluntary relinquishment of permanent residency" in order to process the new PR application.  They may question his readiness to settle as a permanent resident this time to be prepared to provide proof of that.  Best of luck.

Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Member of ICCRC

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Roxanne Jessome


I can answer questions pertaining to Canadian Immigration laws, policies and procedures as well as Canadian citizenship.


I am a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant specializing in the areas of family classes (spousal sponsorships, parents and grandparents), economic classes (federal skilled worker, provincial nominees, Canada experience class), and temporary entry (temporary foreign workers, visitors) and permanent residency obligations and citizenship requirements.

Immigration Consultants Regulatory Council of Canada Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants

Graduate of the University of British Columbia, Certificate in Immigration Laws, Policies and Procedures.

©2017 All rights reserved.