Immigration Issues/I-485 and presence in the U.S.

Question
QUESTION: I will be eligible to apply for I-485 in January 2012. My wife has H4 till July 2013 and She is working in Canada.  I am on H1B and working in US. My wife visits me every week end. I am planning to get medicals done when she is in US for christmas break.

Is it possible for my wife to continue her work in Canada after I add her name in I-485 ? How long she has to be present in US after we apply I-485 ?

Thanks

ANSWER: Hi,

Your wife must be physically present on the day that the adjustment of status application is filed with the USCIS. Since she is maintaining her H4 status, she can depart the U.S. again after the filing of her adjustment of status application without waiting for advance parole document to be issued: http://h1b1.com/files/faq.htm#adv_parole

QUESTION: Thanks !!

Is there a way to confirm that application has been filed once the application has been posted ?

For example, If we post the application on 10 th Jan (by next day delivery) than How long she should be present in USA so we can be sure that application has been filed with USCIS.

Answer

The foolproof method of determining that an adjustment of status (AOS) application has been properly filed is to either wait for receipt notice to be issued by regular mail by the USCIS to the address stated on the adjustment of status application, or to check with your bank that the filing fee check has been cashed by the USCIS. It takes about 2 weeks after the USCIS has received the AOS application to receive the receipt notice.

Ajay K. Arora