Immigration Issues/Employment/Work experience Certificate for Canada Immigration

Question
Hi Roxanne,

I want to apply under NOC 7215. The company(Located in India, Mumbai) I work for is a small proprietorship firm and has no Website or fax, the company operates its business from the owners residence itself. So the residence address is mentioned on the Letterhead, however the firm is a registered one.

Though the Owner has agreed to create a website for the company, will the residence address used on the letter head have a negative impact?

Any idea How the CIC carries out Employment verification and checks? Do they recognize work experience of small proprietorship firms? What are the options available under such a scenario?

Please advise and help with your feedback on the same.

Regards
Rajesh

Answer
Dear Rajesh,

A company is not required to have a website or even a fax to be a real company that does legitimate business.  Many companies in Canada use a residential address for business registration so no, this will not cause a problem.  Yes, CIC does recognize valid, qualifying employment with small proprietorships. CIC contacts employers directly to validate employment.  They may ask for documentation to prove the business is bona fide such as licenses, permits, tax documents, etc.  I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
www.joincanada.com

Roxanne Jessome