Immigration Issues/H1b visa approval for only 1 year

Question
sir,
 My H1b petition got approved for one year last week. Is it normal that these visas are approved for one year? I'm may travelling by the end of Jan 2012 if there is no issues in stamping. If this is the case when should I file for an extension and maximum how many years will the extension be approved. For past 6 months, I was asking many questions to you and I'm thankful to your answers in time.   I desperately need your advice regarding extension.

Answer

Either the employer asked only for one year instead of 3 years, or the employer did not provide evidence that it is capable of employing you for three years (for example, that there is an I.T. project that is one year in duration to which you have been assigned), or you will have reached an aggregate of six years in H1B status (which is normally the maximum) with the one year extension.

Your employer can file an H1B extension with the USCIS up to 180 days prior to expiration of current H1B status.

Ajay K. Arora