Immigration Issues/HI visa and COS

Question
Hello.

I am an RN and previously had a HIC visa that expired in July 2011. I have an approved I-140 but i do not have a visa number available (Priority date April 2009).

I am also currently on the 180 days grace period. I have tried to apply to a school but they wouldn't issue an i-20 cos of my I-140.

Can I change my status to a B-visa? And if I do and was denied what effect will it have on my prior 180 days grace period?

Answer

Both F and B visa categories do not allow for intention to immigrate to the U.S. Thus, the application to change status to B1 to B2 visa category will probably be denied due to the I-140 filing. Incidentally, there is no 180 day grace period. It is only that if unauthorized stay is for less than 180 days, you will not be subject to the 3 or 10 year bars to entry to the U.S. The following link may be helpful: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87120.pdf

I recommend departing the U.S. as soon as possible.

Ajay K. Arora