Immigration Issues/Job change after filling I-485

Question

I was wondering when can a person change jobs after filling I 485. What is the procedure? And are there any specific requirements that new job should meet (same title as the old job etc.).

Thank you.

Riya

Answer

I am assuming that your I-485 (adjustment of status application) filing was based on I-140 (petition for immigrant worker) approval.

Your I-485 can be approved if you change employers only if the new job is in the same or similar occupation. It is recommended that the new employer notify the USCIS via mail stating its intention to employ you on a permanent full-time basis. This is known as an "AC21" letter. The following link may be helpful: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a

Ajay K. Arora