Immigration Issues/L2 to H4

Question
Hi Ajay,

I am currently on L1 through company A and company B has applied for my H1 & COS which has gone into RFE for the past 1 month. My family is in India & now I want to bring them on L2 as I cannot wait for long.  My questions are
1. Will there be any issues at the Port of entry due to my H1 petition in RFE?
2. Will there be any issue once they come on L2 & by that time my H1 COS is approved  ?  I understand they will loose L2 status but I can immediately apply for their COS for H4 . Will there be any issue for applying for their COS?

I would greatly appreciate if you can provide your valuable thoughts. Please advice

Thanks ®ards
AD

Answer

Your family will have no problem in entering the U.S. on L2 visa status, unless your H1B petition is approved by the USCIS granting you change of status to H1B prior to your family's entry to the U.S.

Upon entry to the U.S., your family should file application to change status to H4 prior to approval of H1B petition. Once your H1B petition is approved granting you change of status to H1B, it is too late for your family to file for change of status to H4 within the U.S. (unless your family has already filed application to change status from L2 to H4) as they will immediately lose their L2 status when your H1B petition is approved.

Ajay K. Arora