Immigration Issues/Priority Date Current - Expected time for GC

Question
Hello Ajay,

My husband applied for GC in EB2 category. Our priority date is current. If we apply for GC now, when could we probably get GC.

Also, I recently changed my visa status from H-4 to F-1 in US itself. This status will expire on august 2013. Please let me know if this change of status thing affects my GC proces in anyway.

Thank you,
Swathi.

Answer
Hi Swathi,

It typically takes about 6 months for I-485 to be approved if filed now due to priority date being current, assuming that the priority date continues to be current for the next few months as well.

As you are legally in the U.S. in F1 status, there is no problem with filing your I-485 along with your husband's at the same time when your husband's priority date is current. You can continue to remain legally in the U.S. based on I-485 filing independent of F1 status.

Ajay K. Arora