You are here:

Immigration Issues/substitute for marriage certificate


Dear Jessome,
Marry Christmas and New year in advance. My aunt is being processed for migration under parents category. She is now 68 and a widow. She married when nikhanama were not in practice. What alternate proof she can give in place of Nikhanama. Note she is a widow and providing death certificate of her husband, further her son's (who is sponsor in this case) national ID documents contain name of his mother and father also. Is this enough to establish proof of marriage? Thanks in advance.

Hi Bassanio,

Is there any other proof of marriage available?  It's not that big of a deal as the husband is dead and she is being sponsored by a child.  She is the principal applicant.  At most, I imagine that CIC MAY ask for DNA results to prove the relationship.  But really, she doesn't need to show proof of marriage, just proof that she is a family member of the sponsor.


Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Roxanne Jessome


I can answer questions pertaining to Canadian Immigration laws, policies and procedures as well as Canadian citizenship.


I am a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant specializing in the areas of family classes (spousal sponsorships, parents and grandparents), economic classes (federal skilled worker, provincial nominees, Canada experience class), and temporary entry (temporary foreign workers, visitors) and permanent residency obligations and citizenship requirements.

Immigration Consultants Regulatory Council of Canada Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants

Graduate of the University of British Columbia, Certificate in Immigration Laws, Policies and Procedures.

©2017 All rights reserved.