Immigration Issues/Academic H1B - Industry H1B Transfer

Question
Dear Sir, I am currently holding a H1B from an academic institution and have been offered a position in industry. I realize that the cap for this year has ended. My questions are:
1. Can I transfer the academic H1B to industrial H1B? I realize that the academic H1B is cap exepmt and there might be issues.
2. If I do apply for a transfer after April 1, 2011 (I realize that the cap for this year is met, so I will have to apply after April 1), then the start date can only be October 1st?

Thanks for your help. Please advice on any other issues that may appear.

Answer

Yes, your assumptions are correct. Since your current H1B was filed by a visa cap-exempt institution, you will be subject to the visa cap through the company filing an H1B petition for you. This petition through the new employer can be filed no earlier than April 01, 2011: http://www.uscis.gov/h-1b_count and the employment start date can be no earlier than October 01, 2011.

Ajay K. Arora