Immigration Issues/Blanket L1 - A kept pending

Question

I attended interview for L1-A stamping on 2nd Feb 2011. My petition wsa filed under Blanket category.

I was asked only one question, "Why are you going to US"? And then asked to show some letter from client. I answered and showed Client invitation letter.

After 2-3 mins, he gave me white form which says that my application is kept pending aagainst section 221(g). He also handed over my petition paper and passport. He has marked 'Specialised' in the petition paper and mentioned not clearly approvable.

Please note that i had applied for L1-A (Managerial Category) but the form talks about specialized skills and L1-B.

Can you suggest what could have gone wrong. My total exp is more than 9 years out of which last 8 years is with single employer.

Thanks
Shweta

Answer

It appears that you will not truly a manager or executive in the U.S., and client placement in the U.S. (whether in L1A or L1B) visa category is frowned upon by the Consulate.

I recommend that your employer file an H1B petition for you at the beginning of April, 2011 (the visa cap has been reached and cannot be filed earlier).

Ajay K. Arora