Immigration Issues/COS and H1B visa cap quota

Question
I am planning to apply for H1, currently i am on L1.
a company who is willing to sponsor h1 mentioned i can apply now for COS and start working with them till h1 is approved.
Now that quota for 2011 is caped is it possible to apply for COS and work for company on H1 till petition gets approved ?

Answer

The H1B visa cap for fiscal year 2011 has been reached. Thus, the earliest that the H1B petition can now be filed is April 01, 2011 with employment start date of Oct. 01, 2011 for the fiscal year 2012 visa cap.

As L1 and H1B status is employer specific, you cannot be legally employed by the company filing H1B petition for you until H1B status takes effect (Oct. 01, 2011). It is not legal to work for the H1B employer until Oct. 01, 2011.

Ajay K. Arora