Immigration Issues/H1B Extension -RFE- Can I transfer H1B

Question
My H1B I-94 expired Sept-2010. Extension was applied in July 2010.
Project ended Dec-2010. I received RFE on my extension - Dec 2010.
Company replied to RFE in January with new Project details (Contract/Client letter /LCA/ Amendment).

Current Status- RFE response in Review.

1. Can I transfer my H1B to another employer while my RFE is in Response review?

2. What if the H1 Transfer gets approved before RFE response?

3. Does the RFE response still matter if my Transfer gets approved earlier?

Answer

Yes, another company can file H1B petition for you while your RFE response is pending with the USCIS.

If H1B transfer petition is approved while the RFE response is pending, it is extremely unlikely that the USCIS will also grant extension of status. Thus, the H1B approval of transfer petition by USCIS will benefit you only if you depart the U.S., obtain H1B visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate in your home country, and then enter the U.S., at which point you will regain H1B status.

Ajay K. Arora