Immigration Issues/H1B visa processing and travel

Question
While in U.S, if a H1-B is filed for me can I visit India during the time it is getting processed?

Answer

If you travel outside the U.S. while H1B petition is being adjudicated by the USCIS, the petition is still approvable but you will not be granted change or extension of status within the U.S. Thus, you will need to apply for H1B visa stamp (normally at a U.S. Consulate in your home country) once the H1B petition has been approved by the USCIS in order to enter the U.S. and once you are admitted to the U.S. you will be in H1B status as the I-94 issued at the port-of-entry will indicate that class of admission is H1B visa.

Ajay K. Arora