Immigration Issues/Naturalization

Question
Hello,

First let me thank you for taking the time to review my inquiry.

My green card expires this March 2011. I have been a permanent resident since 1994, and now I would like to become a US Citizen to prevent the double expense of renewing the green card and applying for the citizenship.

If i submit the citizenship application now, do I also HAVE to renew my residence card?
or
by just submitting the citizenship application will be sufficient to stay legal in the country while the application is in process, without renewing the green card?

Please advice. THANKS A MILLION IN ADVANCE!

Answer

Unfortunately, you must renew your green card even if the naturalization application is filed prior to expiration of your green card in March 2011. At the time of the naturalization interview you will be expected to provide unexpired green card.

Ajay K. Arora