Immigration Issues/Re-entering the US as a permanent resident

Question
Me and my fiance are currently going through the fiance visa process and I was wondering whether when it is time after the wedding is done to leave the country and return as a permanent resident whether I can simply hop over to the canadian border and come back, or whether I must enter the country from the same port of entry as I did when I came in with my fiance visa?

Answer

After the wedding, performed no more than 90 days after entry to the U.S. on fiance visa, the adjustment of status application is filed. The advance parole document application should be filed along with the along with the adjustment of status application.

It may take 3 months for advance parole document to be issued. Only after issuance is it OK to travel outside the U.S. as departing prior to issuance of advance parole document will result in abandonment of adjustment of status application. Entry on advance parole document is not restrictive, so you can enter from anywhere outside the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora