Immigration Issues/Recently acquired Green Card

Question
In last week only, my colleague has got her Green Card,social security no.,State I.D. No.Due to some social commitment, she will have to go back to her country in next month and will have to stay back till Nov.2011.Is it possible for her to stay outside USA till Nov.2011? If not then what is the procedure to get the permission? Please reply

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration lawyer writes:

Dear T K,

Nice of you to inquire regarding your friend's scenario.  Please also be advised that though I am an attorney, I am not your nor your friend's attorney and that in online Q&A websites like AllExperts, one should only use these answers as general information.  If you or your friend require legal assistance, seek out a qualified immigration lawyer in your area, or one who you feel can work with her through a distance.  Immigration lawyers, like myself, often work with clients throughout the world and it is also not necessary to stick with an immigration lawyer in your state since immigration law is based on a federal-level statute, attorneys in all the 50 states follow the same rule of law.  

To get back to you question (!), your friend can travel once she has her greencard, but of course, leaving the US so quickly after gaining permanent residency and staying out of the US for so long can trigger 'abandonment' issues upon return.  This means that the Customs and Border Protection can question whether she might have abandoned her permanent residency.  For more information on abandonment issues:  http://www.fongandchun.com/lawyer-attorney-1422911.html

One thing your friend can do is apply for a re-entry permit before she leaves since a re-entry permit allows a person to be absent from the United States for a significant amount of time.  You and your friend should research the re-entry permit as an option but do also keep in mind that prolonged absences from the United States, in general can give rise to a presumption that a permanent resident may have abandoned US residency.  In such cases, the returning resident bears the burden of dis-proving or rebutting that presumption.

Good luck.

Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7

Eileen Chun-Fruto