Immigration Issues/Visa

Question

I'm studying in the UK.
I have an idea which has good commercial value. I want to execute this in the USA. At present, I'm searching for funding and that is the reason I have plans to visit the United States in the month of March in order to meet few venture capitalists during the Easter holidays.  I have following questions.

What kind of visa I should opt out for?
Is there any minimum investment figure for foreigners wanting to start a business in the United States?

I would be highly grateful if I can get some information on this.

Regards
Sandeep

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Sandeep,

Glad to hear that you are innovating!!  Unfortunately, if the investment funds are not your own, but from venture capitalists, then you would be eligible for the E-2 investor's visa.  The E-2 also depends on your country of nationality, so not all investors are eligible for E-2 even if the monies invested are their own!  In general, there is no minimal requirement for an investor's visa, but the USCIS and the US Embassies abroad are very careful to review the investor's business plan, forecasted income, etc.  

My law partner, J Craig Fong teaches courses here in Los Angeles to immigration attorneys on investor visas.  He would probably tell you this:

E visa applications can be extraordinarily complex.  There is always a significant amount of paperwork, but in the end, the most important issues are (1) demonstrating that you are the owner of the company, (2) that a substantial investment has been made in a viable business which you are coming to direct and develop, and (3) that the money used to create your enterprise was money that was honestly and legally obtained.

For your situation, since the funds do not sound like they are coming from you personally, you could possibly look into an H-1B and be a professional employee of the company that you are helping to start.  Self-sponsored H-1Bs are not favored by USCIS and if you choose this route, you should consult with a qualified immigration attorney who focuses on H-1B applications and who, obviously would have years of experience in the field.

Good luck!

Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
www.immigrationvisaattorneyblog.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7

Eileen Chun-Fruto