Immigration Issues/termination while on O-1 visa

Question
Hi there,

I've been on O-1 visa (extraordinary ability in the sciences) for a short 6 months but will have my job terminated soon.

1. If I find a job with another company and I believe they have to file a new I-129 application, will we go through the same tedious process as the first time (e.g. collecting reference letters, etc.)? Can I reuse those same letters from before or I have to ask my referees to write new ones?

2. If I cannot find a job and I have to return home, USCIS says "the employer is liable for the reasonable cost of return transportation of the individual to his/her last place of residence prior to entry into the US". Does this just cover a one-way airfare or are there provisions for shipping larger personal items?

I appreciate your help.

Answer

Yes, you can reuse copy of the same experience letters, esp. as the USCIS does not require original documents.

If you choose to resign, there is no employer liability for return transportation. However, if you are "dismissed from employment" (involuntarily terminated), then the employer must pay for reasonable return transportation abroad to your last foreign residence. The law does not require the H1B employer to pay for transfer of the employee's property. In addition, the employer has no obligation if the employee chooses to remain in the U.S. following termination of employment.

Ajay K. Arora