Immigration Issues/visa waiver program

Question
hello my name is kevin and I am in the usa on the vwp visa and would like to know if that can be changed as i have been offered the chance of employment and would like to know what steps do i need to take to change my status so i can take the employment offer thank you for your help.Kevin

Answer

Entry on visa waiver program does not allow for extension of status or change of status within the U.S. Thus, you cannot remain legally in the U.S. beyond the 90 days generally allowed in entry through visa waiver porgram. The following page from the Dept. of State website is helpful: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html#national

The employer will file the appropriate employment based petition for you, and your signature will not be required on the petition. Please follow up with the employer about the visa category that is envisioned, such as H1B. Once the employer's petition filed with the USCIS has been approved, you will need to obtain the appropriate visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate in your home country.  

Ajay K. Arora