Immigration Issues/Green Card Options

Question
Hello Ajay,

I and my wife are Green Card holders for 2 years.  My son (4 years old) in a US citizen.  I have to relocate to China for work with a multinational company.  I am currently based in Shanghai for the past few months.  I will be making business trips to the US once a year, but not sure about my wife.

1.  Based on your experience, what would be the best way to maintain our Green Cards?
2.  If I maintain my Green card (through visits to the US), but my wife has to give up her card, can we reapply for her Green card when we need it, using any expedited process?

Thank you so much for your assistance.  

Murtuza

Answer

If you want to maintain your green card, I recommend that you lease or have a mortgage on a home in the U.S., pay all taxes as a resident of the U.S., have a bank account, credit card(s), a couple of utility bills, valid driver's license, etc. and enter the U.S. at least one per year for at least a couple of weeks, but preferably a minimum of a few weeks. Alternatively, you can enter once every six months for a few days.

If your wife abandons her green card, you can sponsor your wife either in the F2A category or when you become a U.S. citizen. See www.h1b1.com/sponsor.htm and www.h1b1.com/Uscitizen.htm

Ajay K. Arora