Immigration Issues/H1B to green card via marriage

Question
My company is filing for my H1B this year and it will come into effect on Oct 1, 2011. But I if I want to marry a US citizen and apply for green card how soon can I do that after my H1B comes into effect on October 1st? I am planning to marry but it is not final, so if I apply for green card via marriage soon after Oct 1, 2011 (considering I have recently been converted to H1b from F-1), will it be a problem to do a status change again? PLease advice. Thank you in advance.

Answer

Sponsorship through marriage to a U.S. citizen can be done anytime, and will not interfere with H1B approval. In other words, you are not required to wait until H1B status takes effect before your spouse sponsors you.

If you are sponsored through marriage, you can maintain underlying H1B nonimmigrant visa status until your adjustment of status application is approved (when you receive your green card). Additional information about marriage to a U.S. citizen is here: www.h1b1.com/Uscitizen.htm

Ajay K. Arora