Immigration Issues/L1A and Green card

Question
Hi Ajay,

I have L1A visa valid till 2014 and I am coming to US next month.
I would like to know when can my employer apply for green card?
Is there any time limit?
How long does it for the approval?

Thanks,
Reetu

Answer

As long as the U.S. company has been doing business for at least one year, an immigrant petition (which leads to a green card) can be filed anytime: http://www.h1b1.com/lcmultinational.htm

There is no minimum amount of time that you  are required to be in the U.S. before the employer files an immigrant petition for you. It will probably take several months for the USCIS to approve the immigrant petition. Please follow up with your employer for sponsorship as this process is totally dependent upon your employer.

Ajay K. Arora