Immigration Issues/L1B and green card

Question
my husband is travelling to us frequently on l1b visa. currently he is in india. the visa will expire in 4 months. can his indian company file for his green card instead of applying for another visa without going to usa?

Answer

As L visa status allows for intention to immigrate to the U.S., the company can start the green card process for your husband anytime through the filing of PERM: www.h1b1.com/laborcert.htm

However, the company should also file for L1B extension with the USCIS. Unexpired L1B visa stamp is required to enter the U.S., as simply starting the green card process does not confer any travel or employment rights in the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora