You are here:

Immigration Issues/Living for a time in the USA


Hi, I am a Canadian senior citizen retired and living in Mexico. I have independent income and do not work. My fiancée is an American citizen and works for a major US college. She will be moving to Mexico in about one year after retiring from her job, selling her house and getting rid of a lot of stuff. We hope to marry this summer in the US. I am not applying nor do I seek US citizenship nor a Green Card but would like to live with her until such time as we move to Mexico. What hurdles can we expect in this regard?  Thank you for any information that you can supply.

Hello Ron,

As a Canadian citizen, you can enter and live in the United States for 6 months, without authorization to work.  According to your situation, I believe you can enter the US for 6 months to live with her, and exit and re-enter the US with your Canadian passport to get another 6 months.  You may need to enter the US from different port of entries each time to avoid problem.  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jack Sung


Can answer: Immigration and visa issues Can't answer: Everything else


Been a practicing immigration attorney for 4 years.

Taiwanese American Lawyers Association. American Immigration Lawyers Association. Los Angeles County Bar Association

Southwestern International Law Journal

J.D. from Southwestern Univ. School of Law in 2007. Licensed attorney in California

Awards and Honors
LACBA 2011 Outstanding Public Service Award

©2017 All rights reserved.