Immigration Issues/Time in H1B1 visa count towards 6 years on H1B?

Question
      I am a Singaporean citizen. In my first 3 years on my first job, I was under the H1-B1 visa for singaporean citizens. Since I switched enployers, I was able to get onto the H1B visa. Now I am applying for H-1B extension. My question is, does my first 3 years on the H1-B1 visa count towards the maximum 6 years duration that is allowed on the H1-B? My understanding is that the H1B1 is indefinitely renewable but I am not certain how that applies after I switched over to H1B status.

Thanks!

Answer

You will be subject to aggregate limit of six years. Thus, when changing status to H1B, the time that you were in H1B1 status will be counted towards the six years aggregate limit for H (with the exception of H4) visa status.

If your employer supports you for the green card process through PERM on a timely basis, you can extend H1B status beyond six years: www.h1b1.com/laborcert.htm

Ajay K. Arora