Immigration Issues/h1b to niw petition to J1

Question
Question is still complex? My friend is on H1b visa 4th year. He has applied for NIW EB2 for exceptional ability petition i 140 and i 485 concurrently. Lets see if his petition is denied and since he has maintained his H1b status, can he change to J1 status in the future coz his 6 year will be finished and job will only sponsor J1 visa because of the training kind of job. In simple words, i have heard , if some one has filed ever any immigrant petition in the past no matter it got rejected still a person can not convert to J1 status from H1b status even if he has maintained it.

Answer

As the J visa category (along with B visitor and F student) visa categories does not allow for intention to immigrate to the U.S., the filing of an immigrant petition (such as I-140 or I-130 or I-360) will result in denial of the application to change status to J1 by the USCIS.

Ajay K. Arora