Immigration Issues/H1b Cap

Question
Greetings,

I head the H1b cap opened a few days ago. However my company said they won't be able to officially apply before October. Why is that so? Can you explain? Also, what are the chances that the cap is reached in the next 2 months?

PS: The company that hired me want to process my H1b but they said they can't do so before October

Answer

Your company can file an H1B petition now. However, the requested start date noted on the H1B approval notice cannot be earlier than Oct. 01, 2011.

In any event, the answer to your question is that the employer can file H1B petition at this time. Please discuss with your employer about filing the H1B petition now, but actual control of filing is with your employer, as you cannot self-petition.

The visa cap is unlikely to be reached in the next 2 months.

Ajay K. Arora