Immigration Issues/L1 Status after marrying US Citizen

Question
Good morning Ajay,
I am a L1 Blanket Visa holder with Valid Visa till Aug 2012. I am here for my work assignment and i am dating a US citizen and going to marry soon.

1)What would happen to my L1 Visa status once I marry a US citizen?
2)Can I continue with my current L1 employer after my marriage?
3)After marriage if my spouse sponsors me for Green card how long would that take to get processed?
4)Can I continue to work with my L1 Employer until I get my Green card and EAD?
5)And once after I receive my EAD can I still continue to work for my L1 Employer?

Answer

Upon marriage to a U.S. citizen, you can maintain underlying L1 visa status while the marriage sponsorship case is being adjudicated by the USCIS if you continue to be employed by the L1 employer.

However, you are not required to maintain L1 status, as you will receive independent employment authorization (EAD) based on the filing of sponsorship paperwork, and with the EAD you can work anywhere without restriction. The EAD will be issued about 2 to 3 months after the sponsorship paperwork is filed concurrently with the USCIS, and you can continue to work for the L1 employer if you choose to do so. We have additional information about marriage to a U.S. citizen here: www.h1b1.com/Uscitizen.htm

You will receive conditional resident status in about six months based on the concurrent filing of the marriage sponsorship paperwork.  

Ajay K. Arora