Immigration Issues/Staying in US while awaiting visa processing

Question
I am currently in the US on a J1 exchange visa as an intern.I am not subject to the two year residence requirement.
An application has been filed for another J1 to continue my internship.
What I need to know is am I allowed to stay in the US while I'm awaiting a decision on that application? The state department has had the application for around 6 weeks and my visa is about to expire.
Thank you for your time.

Answer
Hi Hayden,

Assuming you filed the right extension for your J-1, you can stay in the US until a decision is made by USCIS.  You said Department of State is reviewing a new visa.  You can pick it up from the Embassy when it is finished processing.  If you are in the US and your visa is expiring, you do not need to get a new visa.  A new visa is required only if you travel out of the US and wish to return.

Jack Sung