Immigration Issues/Visitor visa after I-130 filing

Question
Hi, I am a US Citizen and already filed I-130 for my brothers and Sisters. I have received the notice from USCIS saying that they have received the forms.  Fortunately, I am graduating in May 2011. I am wondering if I can invite my brother in my graduation ceremony here since he is in Nepal.

Answer

Unfortunately, the visitor visa category (B1 or B2 visa) does not allow for intention to immigrate to the U.S. It is therefore very unlikely that the Consulate will issue a visitor visa and allow your brother to enter the U.S. to attend your graduation ceremony, as your brother now has an intention to immigrate to the U.S. based on the Form I-130 filing.

Ajay K. Arora