Immigration Issues/giving Birth

Question
QUESTION: Please I'm an American Citizen working in Nigeria. Please I'm currently pregnant but want to give birth at home,please what do I need to do? Thanks

ANSWER: Buy an airline ticket and fly home.

Or, register the birth at the US Embassy so that your child will be a US citizen.

QUESTION: When I buy the ticket and go home how do I cope with health insurance,what really do I do qhen I fly home.and I intend to go to Maryland so please could u be more specific. Then u gave an option of registering the birth at the US embassy, is that after putting to bed the baby in Nigeria or the US? Thanks Jack

Answer
Hello Winifred,

1. You need to buy your own health insurance or look for state agencies that help with pregnant women.  It just costs money all in all.

2. I practice in Los Angeles, not Maryland.  Therefore, I don't have much information regarding giving birth in Maryland.

3. For registering the birth in the US Embassy: give birth first.  Bring the child's birth certificate to the Embassy and your proof of citizenship, and the Embassy will register your child as a US citizen and issue a US passport. You must register the baby if the baby was born in Nigeria.  If the child is born in the US, then there is no need to register.

Jack Sung