You are here:

Immigration Issues/mantain permanent resident in Canada


Hi, I'm permanent resident in Canada, working outside Canada. My family living in Canada & I visit them every 6 months. I bought a house and paying my income tax.
I can not Maintain the residence requirements, 2 years inside Canada in a 5 years period.
What will happen next?
If I lost my PR will this effect my family?
How can I visit them if I lost my PR?
Is there any legal way to Maintain my PR?

Dear Ali,

if your family includes a child, there shouldn't be a problem. Immigration officers must consider the best interests of the child, which override your failure to satisfy residence requirements. If it's not the case, there still may be other humanitarian and compassionate grounds. Finally, you may choose to relinquish your PR status voluntarily and obtain temporary residence on arrival and subsequently obtain PR status again.

The whole process is explained in full details in the operational manual published by Immigration Canada for the immigration officers. You can find it on I am sure you will find all the answers to your questions there, as it covers all the possible situations.

Best regards,

Yves Montarasse

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Yves Montarasse

©2017 All rights reserved.