Immigration Issues/Skilled Worker


I'm seeking for immigration to Canada as a skilled worker (I'm a RN) but my spouse had a DUI arrest in 2005, sentenced for parole for 1,5 years. Is this going to be a problem and how to proceed with this matter? Thankful for any information!!

Hi Hanna,

Yes, this is a problem.  Your husband was convicted of an offence that makes him inadmissible to Canada, therefore making you inadmissible as he is your spouse.  He can apply for what's called "Rehabilitation" however, he is not eligible to apply for this until 5 years have passed from the date he finished his sentence.  So you must count 5 years from the date he finished the 1.5 years of parole.  If it has now been 5 years or more since the parole finished, you can apply to immigrate to Canada and he can apply for Rehabilitation.  If 5 years have not been completed you either have to wait or check into whether or not he is eligible for the equivalent of a Pardon under the laws of your country.  

Please see the following link for information regarding Rehabilitation.

Roxanne Jessome
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Roxanne Jessome


I can answer questions pertaining to Canadian Immigration laws, policies and procedures as well as Canadian citizenship.


I am a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant specializing in the areas of family classes (spousal sponsorships, parents and grandparents), economic classes (federal skilled worker, provincial nominees, Canada experience class), and temporary entry (temporary foreign workers, visitors) and permanent residency obligations and citizenship requirements.

Immigration Consultants Regulatory Council of Canada Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants

Graduate of the University of British Columbia, Certificate in Immigration Laws, Policies and Procedures.

©2017 All rights reserved.