Immigration Issues/When to apply for H1B1?

Question
I am a Singapore citizen under F1, OPT till January 30, 2012. I currently hold a job and my employer has agreed to sponsor my H1B1 visa. In order to not discontinue working, should I apply immediately and enter a start date of January 30, 2012? Or should I enter an even earlier start date? It does not matter to me whether or not I use up my OPT as I intend to leave in 2 years.

Thanks so much!

Answer

It is recommended that H1B1 petition be filed soon so that approval occurs prior to OPT expiration on Jan. 30, 2012. Please not that premium processing, whereby the USCIS will make a decision within 15 days of filing a petition in return for additional filing fee, is not available for H1B1 (Singaporean and Chilean nationals) petitions.

Allow about 3 months for approval after filing, but it can be longer if the USCIS has questions prior to approving H1B1 petition. It is OK to enter start date of Jan. 30, 2012, as you will continue to be in OPT until that date, and subsequently you will automatically be in H1B1 status on Jan. 30.

Ajay K. Arora