You are here:

Immigration Issues/Canada immigration advise


Please advise me for Canada immigration with my details below.

Education  : Bachelor's of Science(majored in Physics) - full time study - 15 years

Work Experience: 1992 - 2007 in Banking & customer services
         2008 till date in Interior designing

I have completed on the Job training in interior and furniture designing from my company where I presently work. I can produce an apprentice certificate for 1 year duration. can you shed light whether this certificate will be a valid one as per CIC?

I want to apply under the NOC code 7215 Contractors and Supervisors, Carpentry Trades. Do I qualify for the same? If yes then how much do I score in Education qualification and Work experience?


ANSWER: Hi Rajesh,

Thank you for your email.  Your first question has to do with your on the job training and apprenticeship certificate.  You seem to want to know if CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) would accept this certificate as a part of your education component.  I cannot fully answer as it depends on whether or not the country from which it was issued and the regulating authority for apprenticeships in that country would recognize it.  Generally, if it has been recognized by the country of issue's regulating authority, it will be recognized by CIC.

Whether or not you qualify under NOC code 7215 depends upon your work experience.  You MUST have at least one year of work experience within the last 10 years in this position AND performed most of the job duties for this code in order to qualify.  The job duties as considered by CIC are:  

Contractors and supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
•Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of carpenters who construct, renovate and maintain structures of wood and other building materials and build and install interior finishing in residential, commercial and industrial buildings; and of cabinetmakers who construct and repair custom wooden cabinets, furniture, fixtures and related products
•Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
•Requisition materials and supplies
•Resolve work problems and recommend work measures to improve productivity
•Train or arrange for training of workers
•Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
•Ensure standards for safe working conditions are observed
•Prepare schedules and other reports
•May manage the operations of own company
•May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.

CIC may also look at the job and skill requirements for this position as well as education.  More information about these requirements are found on the Working in Canada website at

I hope this helps.

Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
ICCRC Membership No. R412519

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Hi Roxanne,

Thanks for the prompt and informative feedback. The job duties and work experience match to my present job functions which I am handling.

There are a couple of questions on my mind, do I qualify to apply under this code(7215) without taking into account the apprentice certificate, since its recognition  might be an issue? Can I use my Bachelors degree  in Science(15 years full time study) as an equivalent for education?

Please Guide accordingly. Await your revert.


ANSWER: Hi Rajesh,

This particular trade is unregulated in Canada meaning that there are no specific educational requirements and/or examinations that must be completed in order to be a member of this occupation.  Work experience is the most important component of being considered a member of this occupation.  So while the apprenticeship certificate may not provide you with additional points in the education section of the selection criteria, it may still be very useful in proving to the visa officer that, coupled with your work experience, you do meet the requirements to be included in this occupation.

When awarding points for education, you calculate the points based on all of the accredited education that you have received.  Judging from what you have written, you will be awarded 20 points for education in a Skilled Worker assessment.

So I hope you understand that the apprenticeship certificate may still be useful for you in your application for permanent residence as a skilled worker.  But you must prepare the application appropriately because everything will depend on how the assessment officer at CIO Sydney and visa officer at the embassy/consulate/high commission deciding the application will view it.  A well prepared application will guide them appropriately.

Best of luck.

Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
ICCRC Membership No. R412519

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Dear Roxanne,

Many thanks for the precise and clear advise given.

So based on your opinion for my case, can I forward my application safely with the apprentice certificate on hand which may not be recognized by CIC? Since its anyway Secondary to my work experience and Education qualification.

Please advise.

Thanks in Advance

Hi Rajesh,

You are very welcome.  Based on the information you have provided to me, yes, include the certificate as support to your work experience and qualifications under NOC code 7215.  It will not give you extra points for work experience or for education but can support your ability to fit under this occupation by enhancing your application.  I'm assuming that you have already completed an assessment and meet the passing mark of 67 points for a federal skilled worker application without this certificate.  Ensure all relevant documents are properly translated and organized.

Best of luck to you.

Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
ICCRC Membership No. R412519

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Roxanne Jessome


I can answer questions pertaining to Canadian Immigration laws, policies and procedures as well as Canadian citizenship.


I am a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant specializing in the areas of family classes (spousal sponsorships, parents and grandparents), economic classes (federal skilled worker, provincial nominees, Canada experience class), and temporary entry (temporary foreign workers, visitors) and permanent residency obligations and citizenship requirements.

Immigration Consultants Regulatory Council of Canada Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants

Graduate of the University of British Columbia, Certificate in Immigration Laws, Policies and Procedures.

©2017 All rights reserved.