Immigration Issues/Extension of status

Question
I have applied for my visa extension and have received receipt indicating that application and fees has been received. So based upon receipt can I stay in US until I get an answer that whether my application has been accepted or denied?

My visa is getting over on Sept 2. My application for extension was received two weeks ago.

In case I get denied and I have stayed to wait for the extension, will it affect my future entry to US?

Thank you!

Answer

Yes, you can continue to remain in the U.S. based on filing an application to extend status with the USCIS prior to your current I-94 expiration date.

If the extension is denied, you should depart the U.S. immediately (and certainly no later than 30 days after learning of the denial). Your visa in passport will be automatically invalidated, and you would be required to obtain new visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate for future entry to the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora