Immigration Issues/F1 visa while sponsored by U.S. citizen spouse

Question
I am here in US in F1 visa. I just got married to an US citizen.do I have to maintain my F1 status till my papers come? What should  I do to lower my tuition fees in my college?

Answer

If the sponsorship paperwork has been properly filed (including both the I-130 petition for alien relative and I-485 adjustment of status application), then you can discontinue your studies. If your sponsorship case is denied, however (for example, you and your spouse decide to separate or divorce) and you have not otherwise maintained F1 status in the interim, you will be required to depart the U.S.

As to obtaining lower tuition fees, please contact the financial aid office at your university and update them of your status by showing, for example, the receipt notices as well as EAD (employment authorization document) issued in connection with the spousal sponsorship.

Additional information about spousal sponsorship based on marriage to a U.S. citizen is here: www.h1b1.com/Uscitizen.htm

Ajay K. Arora