Immigration Issues/Green card and EAD

Question
Ajay,

You had told me earlier that if I file for green card via marriage I will receive an EAD card within 90 days so that I can work for any employer. I wanted to know what is the expiration of such an EAD card? Do they give it to you for a year, and I have to apply for a new card every year or do they keep it valid until you receive your green card in hand, since it takes several years. What is written under expiration date?

Thanks,
Jay

Answer

The EAD application can be filed concurrently with the immigrant petition and adjustment of status only if the spouse is a U.S. citizen: www.h1b1.com/Uscitizen.htm

You will be issued the EAD by the USCIS in either one or two year increment. However, you will receive either conditional or permanent resident status prior to expiration of the EAD, and with resident status you do not have to bother with the EAD.

If you are marrying a permanent resident (instead of a U.S. citizen), the wait can take several years in the F2A category, and you will not receive EAD in the interim: www.h1b1.com/sponsor.htm  

Ajay K. Arora