Immigration Issues/Joining late on F1 visa

Question
If a student has been granted F1 visa against an I-20 form with a program start date of end of August, but the visa process takes longer than expected and the University asks the student not to start in the middle of the semester and to join from the next semester in Jan 2012. Would that have an affect on the validity of F1 visa since the school was not joined soon after coming to USA?

Answer

You should arrive in the U.S. no more than 60 days prior to start of the semester. Thus, you should enter the U.S. sometime in November or December 2011. You can carry letter from the university that your semester will start in January in order to avoid any possible problems at the port-of-entry when entering the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora