Immigration Issues/I-130 & I-485 for my father

Question
I am a US citizen and I just filed I-130 & I-485 for my father who is here with me with a B1 visa (landed in US 70 days ago).  He has the B1 visa expired on 05/20/2012, but with the I-94 expiration date on 12/29/2011.  Would it be legal for him to stay until the approval?  Or should he apply the extension of B1 (or apply B1 again) before the I-94 and B1 visa expired?

Thanks very much for your help.

Yan

Answer

Your father can continue to remain legally in the U.S. once the sponsorship paperwork including the petition for alien relative and adjustment of status applications are filed concurrently with the USCIS prior to 12/29/2011. There is no requirement to extend his I-94.

Sponsorship information is available here: www.h1b1.com/sponsor.htm

Ajay K. Arora