Immigration Issues/Continuous residency and naturalization

Question
Hello Ajay,

I have been a Permanent Resident since May 2008, however several months later I enrolled in graduate school in Europe which I have since completed.
While I was in Europe, I returned home numerous times for holidays and breaks, but I have a long absence of 6 months and 4 days when I was writing examinations and doing research in Africa for my dissertation.
I am wondering if this 4 days excess affects my continuos residency requirement for Naturalization application, even though I meet the physical presence requirements. Or is there a grey area in this law, since my wife was still in the country and I maintained a bank account and apartment.

Gracias!

Answer

It appears that the naturalization application can be successfully filed, since you continued to maintain your residence in the U.S. during the absence which lasted between 180 days and 365 days. General information about naturalization is here: http://h1b1.com/citizenship.htm

Ajay K. Arora