Immigration Issues/F2 or H4 for Spouse

Question
Hello,
I basically have a question regarding my spouse visa status. I am planning to get married by Dec, 2011 and want to apply for dependent visa for my spouse. Right now I am on Extended OPT period(F1 visa) and it will expire on Nov, 2012. I am working as a Java Developer for a reputable employer and they are willing to sponsor my H1B. So my concern is whether should I go to my home country(India) for marriage on Extended OPT and apply for F2 Dependent visa for my spouse or should I apply for H1B now and go to my home country(India) on H1 and apply for H4 Dependent visa for my spouse. Also I heard F2 dependent visa have more refusal cases. I would be glad if someone can assist me on this.

Naresh

Answer

H visa status allows for intention to immigrate to the U.S., unlike the F visa category. Thus, the odds of being issued H4 to a spouse are higher than being issued F2, esp. where the F1 principal spouse had completed the course of study and is on OPT.

Since it typically takes 3 to 4 months for H1B petition to be approved, you should consider asking your employer to file the H1B petition through premium processing (whereby the USCIS will make a decision on the petition within 15 days of filing in exchange for additional filing fee of $1,225) as you are planning to be married in December.

Ajay K. Arora