Immigration Issues/H1B- Travel

Question
Hi Ajay,

I am on the H1B visa since Oct 2010. I also have Canadian PR since 2009. To fulfill my Canadian PR residency obligation, I am planning to move to Canada next year. My present company might agree to transfer me to the Toronto office and work remote from there. Is it possible for me to travel back to US (like for a weekly conference) on my existing valid H1B, as I still work for the sponsor company?

Answer

Yes, you can travel on existing unexpired H1B visa stamp, since the purpose of your entry will be employment with the H1B employer, even if it is only for a week or so before you depart the U.S. again. You should be on the payroll of the U.S. company during time spent in the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora