Immigration Issues/H1B visa and F-1 visa

Question
hi, Ajay,

My H1B is valid since April, and it's filed requesting consular processing. My visa status is in OPT, and it's expired in 17 months.

I am planning to traveling back to my home country some time this month, and I need to apply for a new visa(my current F-1 visa expired at August). My question is:

Do I have to apply for H1-B visa to back in US? Could I apply for F-1 visa again? What should I be careful with if I am applying for F-1.

Thanks for your reply in advance!

Answer

You should apply for and obtain H1B visa stamp a U.S. Consulate in your home country. In any event, the Consulate will probably not issue you a new F1 visa stamp since your H1B petition has been already approved by the USCIS. The Consulate (which will be aware of H1B approval even if you do not volunteer this information) will allege that the purpose of your entry to the U.S. is to work for the H1B employer, and thus the correct visa stamp to be issued is H1B.

Ajay K. Arora