Immigration Issues/long delay

Question
DEAR MADAM,
IN SEPTEMBER 2010 ,I APPLIED FOR CANADA PR AS A SKILLED WORKER.IN JANUARY 2011 MY FILE WAS TRANSFERRED TO DAMASCUS VISA OFFICE.ON MAY 29, I RECEIVED AN E MAIL ASKING SOME INFORMATION , BANK STATEMENTS,POLICE CERTIFICATES ETC.AT THE SAME DAY my E CAS CHANGED TO "IN PROCESS".I GATHERED THE REQUESTED DOCUMENTS AND SENT THEM BY DHL.THE LETTER ARRIVED AT THE VISA OFFICE ON JULY 15.FROM THAT DAY ON I HAVE HAD NO NEWS FROM THEM WHILE MANY APPLICANTS WHO HAVE APPLIED LATER THAN I DID HAVE ALREADY GOT THEIR VISAS.WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR ADVICE.
REGARDS,
FATEMEH

Answer
Dear Fatemeh,

Thank you for your question.  As there are no average processing times posted for skilled worker applications submitted after June 25, 2010, it is difficult to determine what, if any, delay has occurred.  There could be several explanations.

1. Time taken to evaluate and verify your work experience
2. Security and background checks taking longer than normal
3. Application volume at the visa office

Those are just a few examples.  Please do not compare the processing time of your application too closely with that of another person.  Each application is assessed on it's individual merits.  No two applications are the same so processing times can vary greatly.

You have a couple of choices about what you can do to get more information.  You can send a case specific enquiry to the Damascus visa office.  http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/damascus.asp

Or you can order your CAIPS/GCMS notes on the file to see what has been done thus far.  This is done through the Access To Information Program in Canada.  However, these notes can only be ordered by someone who is currently in Canada.  You could authorize a friend or family member in Canada to do it or hire a representative to do it for you. More information about this is available here:  http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/index.asp

I'm sorry I could not give you a definitive answer but I hope the above helps.

Sincerely,

Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
ICCRC Membership No. R412519
www.joincanada.com  

Roxanne Jessome