Immigration Issues/marriage to u.s. citizen

Question
QUESTION: My future wife lives in Shanghai, China. We wish to get married before her current visa expires January 23, 2012 What is the process for her to stay here in America, or be able to return back here to the U.S.A. after returning to China to retrieve personal things and arranging shipment of others. We wish to live both in China and U.S.A. part time.

ANSWER: Hi,

It is OK to be married here: www.h1b1.com/Uscitizen.htm

All sponsorship paperwork is filed concurrently, including advance parole (AP) document application prior to Jan. 23, 2012. Your wife can continue to remain in the U.S. after Jan. 23, 2012. Issuance of AP (about 2 to 3 months after filing), will allow your wife to depart the U.S. and enter on AP. If she departs the U.S. prior to issuance of AP, she will be considered to have abandoned her adjustment of status application.

QUESTION: Does a lawyer have to handle the sponsorship paperwork as well as the Advance parole document? Can you recommend a lawyer in Carson City, or Reno, NV. and approximate costs involved? Thank You!

Answer
You may want to proceed with an experienced immigration lawyer if you do not already have considerable knowledge about the immigration process. It is not necessarily faster, but it will at least minimize the possibility of errors, and make it more likely that there will be no unclaimed immigration benefit.

Immigration law is federal law, and is the same throughout the U.S. You can contact our law firm without obligation at info@h1b1.com for a legal fee quote re. marriage to a U.S. citizen.

Ajay K. Arora