Immigration Issues/surname heck


Dear Jessome,
I recently got married to a Canadian citizen (girl who lives in Canada) and will soon start the process. Out of mistake I included the surname for example 'Polani" on Nikhanama ( marriage certificate) which we don't use officially nor it is mentioned on any of my birth, education or other documents. On my request the marriage registrar has strike out Polani and stamped and signed the correction. now it appears as 'sharif s/o abdul salam' would this correction will  delay my process.
Further this is how I use my name style.
for example :
on birth certificate: sharif s/o Abdul Salam
on my national id card: sharif s/o abdul salam
on education: Sharif Abdul Salam
on passport: surname: salam given name: sharif
on US visas: surname: salam given name: Sharif Abdul
GMAT test university application: surname: salam name: sharif
Further since the marriage certificate shown correction do I need to put surname Polani in 'other names used' when filling application in order to clear the mistake. (by the way I have only used Polani in private hospital record and no where else) nor my father has used this surname any where.
Shall highly appreciate your input

Hi BB,

Thank you for your question.

As long as you submit the corrected Nikhanama with your application, it should be fine.  And yes, you should put Polani on other names used section since you did use it.


Roxanne Jessome
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
ICCRC Membership No. R412519

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Roxanne Jessome


I can answer questions pertaining to Canadian Immigration laws, policies and procedures as well as Canadian citizenship.


I am a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant specializing in the areas of family classes (spousal sponsorships, parents and grandparents), economic classes (federal skilled worker, provincial nominees, Canada experience class), and temporary entry (temporary foreign workers, visitors) and permanent residency obligations and citizenship requirements.

Immigration Consultants Regulatory Council of Canada Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants

Graduate of the University of British Columbia, Certificate in Immigration Laws, Policies and Procedures.

©2017 All rights reserved.