Immigration Issues/getting a visa

Question
I am a U.S. citizen and my husband is from Guatemala. We have been married for 10 yrs. He was deported from the Untied States in 2001. We are now living in Guatemala. My question is what are our changes of him getting a VISA so we can go back to the U.S.? We also have two children who were both born in the United States. Thank you

Answer
Dear Andi,

1. People who were deported have a 10 year bar on their visa application.  It's been 10 years or will be 10 years soon so it seems to me that your husband can get a visa to come back.

2. There are situations where there is an exception and he won't be able to get a visa.  For example, if he was deported for entering the country multiple times or was caught and deported again after one deportation in the past.  Or, he committed a serious crime which caused him to be deported.

3. I would need a complete history of his immigration status from his very first entry into the US and until he was deported to say for sure.

Jack Sung